Born on June 14th, 1981 in Montevideo, Uruguay.
Responsible for the Corporate Department of the Firm. Advises on general corporate and business matters.
He leads on business structuring, implementation of business ventures and matters such as mergers and acquisitions and stock purchase
Expertise in corporate governance, development and organization of family businesses is to be highlighted. Extensive experience in corporate reorganizations and insolvency.
- PhD in Law - Cum Laude, University of Navarra (Spain, 2012).
- Master in Law, University of Navarra (Spain, 2008).
- Doctor in Law, University of Montevideo (2004)
Distinguished by Chambers & Partners as a notable practitioner in Corporate & M&A (from 2020 to 2023).
- Dean of the School of Law of the University of Montevideo since February 2021.
- Editor at the Journal of the Faculty of Law of the University of Montevideo since 2014.
- Professor of Corporate Law and Corporate Governance, undergraduate and graduate at the University of Montevideo since 2012.
- Speaker in Commercial Law Conferences and Cade courses.
- Disrupción, Economía compartida y Derecho (“Disruption, Sharing Economy and Law”, FCU, 2016).
- Gobierno Corporativo (“Corporate Governance”, UM, 2015).
- Los deberes Fiduciarios de los Administradores de sociedades (“The duties of Trust Company Directors”, FCU, 2013).
- Author of several articles: La prima de emisión como obligación en la sociedad anónima (2013); Cumplir o explicar como principio de gobierno corporativo (2012); Interés social y deberes fiduciarios de los administradores de sociedades de capital (ADC, 2012)”; El concepto de interés social en la nueva Ley de Mercado de Valores (2010); La noción jurídica de empresa y su impacto sobre las decisiones empresariales (2013); La función de la ley en el ámbito societario-empresarial (2014).
Research Group on Insolvency and Corporate Law at the University of Montevideo (2006-present).
Spanish, English and Italian
The Firm has been repeatedly recognized by Chambers & Partners, one of the most prestigious editorials investigating the legal market. Product of that investigation in which clients, colleagues and businessmen intervene, Pérez del Castillo & Asociados has been recognized in three areas in which it specializes: Labor, Corporate and Dispute Resolution. In Labor law, the partners Santiago Pérez del Castillo and Matías Pérez del Castillo have been renowned, as well as Florencia Di Segni. In corporate matters, Matías Pérez del Castillo and Miguel Casanova were recognized. And in dispute resolution, Matías Pérez del Castillo was acknowledged.
Corporate / M&A
Up-and-coming practitioner Miguel Casanova continues to garner ample praise from clients, with one noting: "He is an excellent professional with a great mastery of trust structures." Another impressed client says: "Miguel Casanova boasts broad knowledge and experience in this area."
Corporate / M&A
Up-and-coming practitioner Miguel Casanova rises in the rankings this year after being promoted to partner. One client applauds him for "demonstrating a solid experience in the sector," while another describes him as "a professional with a strong knowledge of the sector."
Associate-to-watch Miguel Casanova is commended by a client as a "capable and agile" lawyer. The same source appreciates the "impressive personalised service" and "strong commercial experience"that he provides.
Associate-to-watch Miguel Casanova is praised by clients as a practitioner who "knows a lot about corporate law, has great experience and gives very careful advice." They go on to highlight that "he is calm, but in court he knows how to bare his teeth.".